Sunday, August 3, 2008

Looking for Suggestions...

I need some help dear readers. On Friday a friend and I went on a field trip to a couple of local yarn stores. This was the first time I'd been anywhere other than a Michael's, Zellers or Wal-Mart to buy wool and it was a great experience. (I'd become addicted if only my wallet could handle the strain.) Of course being in a new place I had to bring home a couple treats for myself. The downside of this is I usually come up with the craft project first and then buy the supplies afterwards. So this feels a little backwards. 

I have some beautiful yarn and no idea what to do with it. This is where you come in. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can make with either of these please post a comment and share your thoughts. I've only bought 150 grams of each colour which isn't much. Probably enough to make a hat or scarf or other one skein project. A small bag of some sort? I don't know. Let me know what you think, and of course, share the links if you can think of a free online pattern (in either knitting or crochet) that would suit either of these. 


Now, a little bit more information about these yarns...





I purchased this at our first stop. A store called Knitopia, which I'm a little embarrassed to admit, has been located less than a five minute drive from my home since Sept. 2007. I just discovered it was there a couple weeks ago when I was doing an online search for wool stores near my workplace. (Turns out there are no wool shops near my workplace, but having one close to home is even better!) This is called Ornaghi filati and it's made in Italy. Very soft, very bright, and I just really liked that line of shimmery fabric twisted in with the wool. The panda bear on the label makes their products stand out in the store and from what I could see their whole line is beautiful.


This came from our second stop, Woolaroo. I've known about this store for a while, but just never had the chance to make a trip out to see it. It's about a 30-45 minute drive from home and while they had some nice stuff, most of the products I liked were also available at Knitopia. Now I know the good stuff is right here in town and the next time I want some specialty products I won't have to make the longer drive. The day we were there the store happened to be having a 40 per cent off sale on all yarn, so I did pick up 150 grams of this. It's Friends Trends #13 Brown Fantasy by Adriafil, another Italian company. Very soft and these warm colours really appealed to me. It needs to be made into something cozy for winter...

So, there you go. That's my show and tell for today. Got any patterns that will look good in these yarns? If you do please post a comment and share the links. I welcome all suggestions!

No comments: