Friday, August 21, 2009

The Tea Ninja

I've been promising the boyfriend, who is both wise and witty, that I'd make him an amigurumi ninja someday. I finally got around to it this week. After finishing this one late at night, I put him on top of our tea box, since that's one of the boyfriend's first stops in the morning. So now he's the Tea Ninja, who guards our tea and protects the food in our pantry from evil doers. I think he's quite happy to have a purpose!

This one is a bit of a mash up of two patterns. I used the body from the Thinker robot in Crobots to make him in the style of the ninja from Creepy Cute Crochet. The little tie on his head was made using the instructions from Creepy Cute Crochet. He's made with a black sport weight yarn from Red Heart and a D size (3.25 mm) hook.

This was actually my first time making an amigurumi with a sport weight yarn. I really wanted to make the ninja small, without resorting to thread crochet. It wasn't a bad experience, but working with the smaller hook and yarn made my hands hurt a bit. I don't think I'd have the patience to make something more time consuming this way. Of course, he turned out so cute, I am growing tempted to try making him a little thread crochet sidekick...


The Tea Ninja posing with some bananas so you can get a better look at him. He stands about 2.75 inches high and is currently the smallest amigurumi in the house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so want that book! That Ninja is so CUTE as he gaurds the Tea from thoese that might abuse it!! Were did you buy your book!! And have you thought of using sock yarn to make another Ninja?

amber said...

Both of the books I mentioned are available through Amazon, and can probably also be found (or special ordered) at a local bookstore in your area. Glad you like the ninja! Have fun stitching!!!