Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Celtic Knotwork Bookmark

If you find Teresa Wentzler's larger pieces a bit intimidating or think they might be too time consuming, I highly recommend these Celtic Knotwork Bookmarks. They require lots of 3/4 stitches and plenty of thread blending, which will give you a feel for what it's like to tackle one of Wentzler's larger designs.

I saw a set of these stitched and displayed at an art show during V-Con, Vancouver's science fiction and fantasy convention, many years ago and have been interested in making them ever since. I'm going to put together a couple more soon, but I started with this design because it has always been my favourite. The other celtic knotwork bookmarks I make will likely turn into gifts for friends and family. This one I'm keeping for myself.

This was stitched on some 32 count cream belfast linen that I had left over from the Octavio Ocampo pictures I stitched. I'm not sure exactly how long I worked on the bookmark, but I'd say it was about 2 weeks of stitching fairly regularly for a couple hours a day.

The Celtic Knotwork pattern is out of print now, but you can get it as a download from PatternsOnline. I'm still disappointed that PatternsOnline's downloads are only available to PC users. Hopefully if you're an avid Mac users you at least know someone with a PC who can download and print patterns for you, even if they don't understand your obsession with cross stitching.
As always the lighting in our house makes it hard to take pictures that capture the true colours of the piece. I would say these last three close up shots most accurately depict the colours, although they are a touch yellower than the actual piece.

4 comments:

Skulleigh said...

Those are gorgeous. If I can think up something to use them for besides bookmarks I might be tempted to get that.

I did one of her designs awhile back - a dragon wrapped around a castle. It took me 6 years! :D I really need to get it framed and hung up, after all that.

amber said...

Hmm, besides bookmarks? I'm trying to come up with some ideas. You could just frame one of them as a picture and hang it vertically or horizontally. Or make several of the different designs on one piece of fabric and hang the whole collection.

Sometimes you can buy those hand towels that have aida cross stitch fabric on them, so you could use the knot work patterns as a fancy border on a hand towel. Of course, after putting all that work into it you may not want anyone to actually use the towel.

I have also seen travel mugs and coffee cups that have an area where you can insert pictures. Not sure if the space would be wide enough, but maybe you could stitch one of these up and put it in one of those cups.

And that's all I can think of. Anyone else have any ideas?

Congratulations on finishing a Teresa Wentzler cross stitch Skulleigh, that's quite an accomplishment. I haven't stitched the dragon wrapped around the castle, but I've seen it before. It's a beautiful design that some day I may try to tackle. I think I had one Teresa Wentzler that I stitched on and off for two years while going to school. They are time consuming, but the results are always beautiful!

Measi said...

I adore TW designs (and have about five currently in progress). She takes a lot of organization, but the results really are amazing.

KentishSprite said...

Wonderful-I adore these bookmarks. Now added one to my craft 'to do list' so thanks for the inspiration!